KentHOPE is a partnership in Kent, Washington, of faith-based groups, Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission, Valley Cities Counseling and Consultation, businesses, local community service agencies and concerned individuals. The goal of KentHOPE is to establish a homeless day center and overnight shelter in Kent.
We are the congregations and individuals who provide meals for the homeless and low income members of our communities. (see community meals tab above for a list of free community meals). We also meet emergency needs of community members through the distribution of benevolence funds donated by our congregations.
KentHOPE is moving forward with our partner, Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission (SUGM), towards our vision of establishing a day center and overnight shelter to provide hope and assist those who are homeless in pathways to stable housing and a more secure future.
• We are presently working with a realtor in search of a Kent site for an overnight shelter.
• We are widening our network of support by contacting and enlisting more local congregations, businesses, service clubs, and professional organizations.
• We are improving our communications network through facebook and widely distributed email updates.
• We are actively soliciting donations to maintain our current day center and to establish an overnight shelter. Click the donate button at the top right of this page!
• Our executive committee, which includes representatives from Kent Chamber of Commerce, Kent Downtown Partnership, several local churches and businesses, the InterFaith Task Force on Homelessness, and SUGM, meets regularly in strategy sessions.
• We have met with the Homelessness Task Force established by the Kent Human Services Commission to prioritize the many needs.